Henne, Kathryn E. 2015. Testing for Athlete Citizenship: Regulating Doping and Sex in Sport. New Brunswick, NJ: Rutgers University Press.
Selected publications, organized by topic – PDFs are pre-publication proofs; final versions are available through the in-text links.
Biogovernance and Regulation
- Henne, Kathryn. 2018. More than ‘Unnatural’ Masculinity: Gendered and Queer Perspectives on Human Enhancement Drugs. Human Enhancement Drugs. Katinka van de Van, Kyle Mulrooney, and Jim McVeigh, eds. London: Routledge, forthcoming.
- Henne, Kathryn. 2017. Multi-Sited Fieldwork in Regulatory Studies. Regulatory Theory: Foundations and Applications. Peter Drahos, ed. Canberra: ANU Press, 97–114. [PDF]
- Additional resource: Kathryn Henne on Multi-Sited Fieldwork. 2015. Give Methods a Chance Podcast, The Society Pages, 2 October.
- Henne, Kathryn. 2017. “I Felt Like a Lab Rat”: The Importance of Power and Context in Understanding Biometric Technologies. The American Journal of Bioethics 17(1): 63–65. [PDF]
- McDermott, Vanessa, Kathryn Henne, and Jan Haynes. Shifting Risk to the Frontline: Case Studies in Different Contract Working Environments. Journal of Risk Research, online first. [PDF]
- Henne, Kathryn. 2015. Rights, Regulation, and Bodily Integrity: Reflections from Sport. Regarding Rights: Academic and Activist Perspectives on Human Rights, 11 September.
- Henne, Kathryn. 2014. The “Science” of Fair Play in Sport: Gender and the Politics of Testing. Signs: Journal of Women in Culture and Society 39(3): 787–812. [PDF]
- Additional resource: Kathryn Henne on Sport, Sex Testing, and Fair Play. 2015. Office Hours Podcast, The Society Pages, 23 March.
- Henne, Kathryn, and Emily Troshynski. 2013. Suspect Subjects: Affects of Bodily Regulation. International Journal for Crime, Justice, and Social Democracy 2(2): 100–112.
- Henne, Kathryn. 2012. Tracing Olympic Bio-Citizenship: Implications of Testing for Ineligibility. Problems, Possibilities, and Promising Practices: Critical Dialogues on the Olympic and Paralympic Games. Janice Forsyth and Michael K. Heine, eds. London: University of Western Ontario, 83–88.
- Henne, Kathryn. 2009. Taking a Break to Think through Gender and Regulation: Doping as a Case Study. Thinking Gender Papers, Center for the Study of Women. Los Angeles: University of California.
Inequality, Crime, Law and Society
- Henne, Kathryn. 2018. Criminalization. International Encyclopedia of Anthropology. Hilary Callan, ed. Oxford: Blackwell, in press. [PDF]
- Henne, Kathryn. Gender and Race: Intersectionality Theory. International Encyclopedia of Anthropology. Hilary Callan, ed. Oxford: Blackwell, in press. [PDF]
- Henne, Kathryn. Feminist Criminology. 2017. The Australian and New Zealand Handbook of Criminology, Crime and Justice. Antje Deckert and Rick Sarre, eds. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, in press. [PDF]
- De la Tierra, Albert, and Kathryn Henne. Southern Theory. Routledge Companion to Criminological Theory and Concepts. Avi Brisman, Eamonn Carrabine, and Nigel South, eds. London: Routledge, in press.
- Henne, Kathryn, and Emily Troshynski. Intersectionality. Routledge Companion to Criminological Theory and Concepts. Avi Brisman, Eamonn Carrabine, and Nigel South, eds. London: Routledge, in press.
- Roussell, Aaron, Kathryn Henne, Karen Glover, and Dale Willits. 2017. Impossibility of a Reverse Racism Effect: A Rejoinder to James, Vila, and Vila. Criminology & Public Policy. DOI: 10.1111/1745-9133.12289 [PDF]
- Henne, Kathryn, and Rita Shah. 2016. Feminist Criminology and the Visual. Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Crime, Media, and Popular Culture. Michelle Brown, ed. Oxford: Oxford University Press. DOI: 10.1093/acrefore/9780190264079.013.56
- Henne, Kathryn, and Rita Shah. Unveiling White Logic in Criminological Research: An Intertextual Analysis. Contemporary Justice Review 18(2): 105–120. [PDF]
- Henne, Kathryn. 2013. From the Academy to the UN and Back Again: The Travelling Politics of Intersectionality. Intersections: Gender and Sexuality in Asia and the Pacific 33.
- Henne, Kathryn, and Emily Troshynski. 2013. Mapping the Margins of Intersectionality: Criminological Possibilities in a Transnational World. Theoretical Criminology 17(4): 455–473. [PDF]
- Selected for the Editor’s Choice Collection on Race and Ethnicity (2014).
- Henne, Kathryn, and Emily Troshynski. 2013. Technologies of Biosurveillance: Bodily Regulation through the Lens of Ordinary Affect. Crime, Justice and Social Democracy: Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference. Kelly Richards and Juan Tuari, eds. Brisbane: Queensland University of Technology, 84–91.
- Henne, Kathryn. 2011. Enemies and Citizens of the State: Die Boeremag as the Face of Postapartheid Otherness. Critical Criminology 19(4): 285–299. [PDF]
- Henne, Kathryn. 2017. Regulating Fair Play in Sport. The Routledge Handbook of Critical Criminology (2nd edition). Walter DeKeseredy and Molly Dragiewicz, eds. London: Routledge, in press.
- Henne, Kathryn. 2017. Indicator Culture in Sport for Development and Peace: A Transnational Analysis of Governance Networks. Third World Thematics: A TWQ Journal, online first. [PDF]
- Henne, Kathryn. 2016. Defending Doping: Performances and Trials of an Anti-Doping Program. Journal of Sport and Social Issues 40(3): 175–196. [PDF]
- Henne, Kathryn. 2016. The Straight Dope on Regulating Fair Play in Sport. Anthropology News, 57(7–8): 5–7. [PDF]
- Henne, Kathryn. 2015. Reforming Global Sport: Hybridity and the Challenges of Pursuing Transparency. Law & Policy 37(4): 324–349. [PDF]
- Henne, Kathryn. 2014. The Emergence of Moral Technopreneurialism in Sport: Techniques in Anti-Doping Regulation, 1966–1976. International Journal of the History of Sport 31(8): 884–901. [PDF]
- Reprinted in John Gleaves and Thomas Hunt, eds. 2015. A Global History of Doping in Sport: Drugs, Policy, and Politics. London: Routledge: 70–87.
- Henne, Kathryn. 2014. The Transnational Legal Ordering of Global Sport through the Lens of the UN-International Olympic Committee Partnership. Challenging Identities, Institutions, and Communities. Brad West, ed. Adelaide: University of South Australia.
- Henne, Kathryn, Benjamin Koh, and Vanessa McDermott. 2013. Coherence of Drug Policy in Sports: Illicit Inclusions and Illegal Inconsistencies. Performance Enhancement & Health 2(2): 48–55.
- Henne, Kathryn, Benjamin Koh and Vanessa McDermott. 2013. Rethinking WADA: What Exactly Are We Reconsidering? Performance Enhancement & Health 2(2): 58–59.
- Connor, James, Kathryn Henne and Vanessa McDermott. 2013. Legitimating the Fight? Questions about Cross-Cultural Perspectives on Anti-Doping Strategies in the Pacific. Reflections, Intersections, and Aspirations: 50 Years of Australian Sociology. Helen Forbes-Mewett, Nick Osbaldiston, and Catherine Strong, eds. Melbourne: Monash University.
- Henne, Kathryn. 2010. WADA, the Promises of Law, and the Landscapes of Antidoping Regulation. PoLAR: Political and Legal Anthropology Review 33(2): 306–325. [PDF]
- Henne, Kathryn. 2009. The Origins of the International Olympic Committee Medical Commission and its Technocratic Regime: An Historiographic Investigation of Anti-Doping Regulation. Lausanne: International Olympic Committee.